Voter Information


Name / Address Change
When moving from one county to another within the state, voter registration does not transfer. A new registration is required. A completed registration form should be forwarded to the new county.

Name changes and changes of address within the county must be made in writing and forwarded to the Shelby County Board of Registrars.

An eligible voter must:

  • Be a United States citizen
  • Live in the State of Alabama
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Not be barred from voting by reason of a disqualifying felony conviction
  • Not be judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of law
  • Be a resident of the city for 30 days (for municipal elections)

Applicants registering for the first time must complete a State of Alabama Voter Registration Form and submit it to the county in which they reside. Applicants must provide a physical residential address, not just a post office box.

The applicant’s date of birth and an original signature are also required. A Voter ID Card will be mailed to the voter showing the assigned polling location.

If you are interested, you may check that you are a registered voter in Shelby County and see your assigned polling location.

Students attending college in-state have the option of registering in either their home county or their school’s county.

Questions about voting? Contact the Shelby County Board of Registrars

Chairperson Carol Hill

Butch Ellis Building
Suite 100
108 W. College Street
P.O. Box 1642
Columbiana, AL 35051

Office Hours
Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Ph: (205) 669-3913
Fx: (205) 669-3986