Happy New Year!
The year 2019 promises to be a pivotal year as Democrats in the US House will investigate and expose the Trump Administration corruption. We’ll learn much more about Trump’s ties to Russia through the Mueller investigation report. And we’ll have a whole host of new Democratic leaders throwing their hats in the ring to run for President in 2020.
The Shelby County Democrats will be following it all closely and working on building our local presence to help re-elect Senator Doug Jones. In January we have the three meetings.
January 8 Tuesday 6:30pm- Dinner with Democrats – Margarita Grill Hwy 119 Pelham. No agenda just an opportunity to come meet fellow local Democrats over dinner and a beverage.
January 17th Thursday 6:30pm – January General Meeting – Pelham License Office 1123 County Services Rd rear of the building. Open to all. The doors open at 6pm.
Local Democrats need your help in the following areas over the next few weeks.
–Tuesday’s at Campaign HQ – We are writing post cards and phone calling each Tuesday from 5pm to 8pm at 1970 Chandalar Office Park Pelham off Hwy 31 – We provide food. Call Sheridan Black 205-529-8871 for more info.
– Outside Tablers’ Election Day – We have a lot of success setting up a table and signs promoting the Shelby County Democrats . We need a Coordinator for each site and a three hour shift commitment. There were 23,000 Democrats who voted for Hillary Clinton in Shelby County. Call Doug Hoffman 205-616-7845
– Candidate Volunteers – We have ten candidates who need your help. One easy way to help is to write a brief post card to a potential Democratic voter. The candidates will provide you with however many post cards you need. Or how about a yard sign?
– Ride to the Polls– If you would like to take people to the polls and help with this effort let us know. Call Carole Marks 205-914-0100
– Poll Watchers – Commits to being at a polling place for most of the day making sure procedures are followed (1/2 day shifts starting at 7am or 1pm)
Our meeting next Thursday October 18 ; 6:30pm at the Pelham License Office . (rear of the building) Come find out what you can do to help elect Democrats!
“Nothing in life is better than fighting for a cause larger than yourself….” Senator John McCain
We have ten Democrats running for the first time in Shelby County who could use your help. There are several September meetings for you to get involved and meet candidates.
Dinner with Democrats – Tuesday September 11, 6:30pm Margarita Grill on Hwy 119 Pelham. No agenda just a chance to have a beverage or dinner with fellow Democrats.
Judge Bob Vance, Meet and Greet – Thursday September 13th, 5pm to 7pm – 101 Riverchase Pkwy East (Valleydale Rd and Riverchase Pkwy) – Come meet our next Alabama Supreme Court Justice.
Monthly Meeting with Walt Maddox Speaking- Thursday September 20th 6:30pm at the North Shelby County Library – You’ll want to hear and meet the next Governor of Alabama. Note this meeting is not in our usual location because we expect a big crowd.
Blues and BBQ Fundraiser – Sunday September 23 from 1 to 6pm. All you can eat and drink and the famous Gip’s Place Blues Band for only $60. Location – Greystone 7078 North Highfield Dr. 35242 Call Carole Marks to RSVP 914-0100 .
Local Democrats are on the move getting ready to win some elections in November. Please try to participate in at least one of these Shelby County activities.
– Dinner with Democrats – August 7 6:30pm Tuesday at the Margarita Grill Hwy 119 in Pelham. Come have a beverage and chat with fellow Democrats.
– Monthly Meeting – August 16 Thursday 6:30pm at the Pelham License Office 1123 County Services Dr off I65 exit 242. Come hear an incredible speaker Will Boyd running for Lt. Governor. And meet several other Democrats running to flip the state legislature.
–Hwy 280 Area Democrats Meeting – August 21 Tuesday 7pm North Shelby County Library Hwy 119. This is a new group who want to get Democrats organized along the 280 corridor. They will have a speaker from GASP an environmental group fighting for clean air and water.
– Make Phone Calls From Home – If you want to help us Get Out The Vote from home we’ll set you up with a phone list.
It’s easy and we’ll give you a script to follow.
South Shelby County Carl Carter Campaign 205-876-6088
West Shelby County Suzanne Coleman 205-281-4963
-Post Card Writing – Receiving a hand written post card will encourage people to vote. If you want to do this from home contact the Jenn Gray Campaign Karen Fowler at 746-6174.
Are you frustrated with our political situation? Time to make and change and get involved.
July 14th Saturday 9am – Canvassing in Alabster – Call Carl Carter -205-910-1952
July Monthly Meeting – July 19th Thursday 6:30pm – Come meet some of the 10 Democrats running for office in Shelby County. And hear former Governor Don Siegleman talk about the state of the Democratic Party in Alabama. We meet at the Pelham License Office 1123 County Services Rd. Rear of the building.
Wine and Cheese Fundraiser – July 22nd Sunday 4pm to 6pm for Dr. Jenn Gray running for state House seat 45 in the Greystone area. Donation $50 per couple. Call Jess Eddington if interested. 205-240-8609